Last week the US Senate approved the motion to proceed with the Gang of 8 immigration bill. There was overwhelming approval to move forward with meaningful immigration reform!
In a vote of 84 yeas and 15 nays, the US Senate agreed to move forward and hear the Gang of 8 immigration bill. The Senate will now debate and discuss the bill and decide if any changes are to be made before a final vote to present it to the House.
The bill was authored by 8 US Senators, which comprised of 4 Democrats and 4 Republicans. This is the first time that an immigration bill was a bi-partisan effort by the current Congress.
Who are the Gang of 8 members? They are:
- Sen. Michael Bennet (D-Colo.)
- Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.)
- Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.)
- Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.)
- Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.)
- Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.)
- Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.)
- Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.)
To find out more about immigration reform or how you may be eligible for immigration benefits, see Immigration Attorney Jennifer A. Gutierrez. Call 713-974-1151 for a free consultation.